SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 3 July 2016

How to save money at the fabric store, secrets revealed...

how to save money at the fabric store you ask?
follow along very closely...

Do not go to the fabric store.
Boom.
mind blown.
 
 
I am not kidding you, this is a real post, that is all you have to do.
I am a firm believer in thinking outside the box.
pretty much everything expensive you want to take on can come with a lower price tag if you're up to put some thought into it.
 
Example:  I had a couple of furniture pieces I wanted to re-cover..
 

I went to the fabric store and picked out some adorable fabrics, I went to the sales lady and asked for prices. my jaw dropped..
 

I knew it wasn't going to be cheap but when she told me that (^middle) plain purple (mind you nice and thick, a beautiful texture to it.. ) would be $100 to cover my ottoman, I backed away slowly..
even with a 40% off day coming up it was still so far out of reality.

So then I started thinking.. the last time I covered this ottoman I used an old curtain. just a regular sized grey panel, I think I paid a dollar for it at sears clearance center.

so off to winners I went, in search of a curtain, blanket, shower curtain, table cloth...
really anything that had a pattern that I would love with for now and had the correct price tag!

I found the winner in the kitchen section!
 
a $7 table cloth!!
I just saved myself $93 fricking dollars!
 


^ the before photo, that's the old grey curtain panel.
it held up for a solid 5 years, good on ya curtain.
 
 
^ I removed the ottoman legs and pulled the grey off, most all of the staples came with, so it was a fresh start.

 
^ the very old original ottoman colour.
if you have pets/cats you are no stranger to the beat up, worn out look. (see corners)


All you need is the fabric and a staple gun.
lay the fabric flat and fold up the long sides first.
staple one side all the length along, but leave some gaps and you can fill it in with extra staples near the end.
staple the second long side, pull the fabric tight but don't pull it too taught that it pulls too hard on the staples (they might not hold if its pulled to tight)
 
 
wrap the two short sides like a present and staple
(this did not turn out perfect for me this time, the sides were a tiny bit short so they're a little wonky.. but I'm going to go in with a needle and thread for touch ups and other than that I don't really care.. it was a $7 job! if it looks decent for a year its a win!)

 
^finished project!!
maybe took 20 mins and $7! whoooo hoooo


and that's how you save money at the fabric store!

XOOXOX







4 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele ShearsJuly 03, 2016 2:56 pm

    Well done Holly! Creative Mumma!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog!Your is very informative.Want to build wealth and become rich ? here is a blog post on how to build income by saving money over time.
    Money saving secrets

    ReplyDelete