SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 21 January 2018

Brie Cheese Toast and Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts...

I've always wanted to do a charcuterie board... Nicks not a snacker but I am SUCH a snacker! 
Like, I need snacks and I need them salty and pickle-ish where possible.

I decided to test out a few treats and hone my skills for a future charcuterie board, I have been craving one for so long and I am super happy with this first draft!



First things first, if you're not into Cider.. get into it!
I have a really hard time with wine... to me, it feels like a chore to drink, maybe I just haven't found 'the' wine but I am halting that search because I've found the drink crush and its cider.

This is my second time picking up Bulwark (click) brand and it won't be the last.
I received a ton of messages on Instagram stating this was super delicious and I picked it because the price was R.I.G.H.T. (plus its made right here in New Ross NS, win, win, win, win.)







Next, I grabbed a fresh jar of this cheese topper from Sobeys, they were sold out of the apple and fig but the cranberry port was just as good. These little jars are located next to the cheese display and the mini french bread was also in a basket on display.

Layer the crusty bread, brie cheese and a dollop of topper for a tasty bite-size treat. 



I'm not great with deli decisions so I figured a variety pack was the way to go, these three meats were pre-packed together in the pickup cooler so I grabbed them and ran, and they were actually fantastic!




The final piece of the puzzle was the bacon wrapped water chestnuts.. we typically have these around Christmas but this year no one made them and I have had a craving ever since.

I didn't get a proper photo, they were made, displayed and devoured before I could stage a fancy flatlay so let's just hope you've been watching my insta stories and got the behind the scenes sneak peek.


BACON WRAPPED WATER CHESTNUTS

- 1 OR 2 PACKS OF REGULAR BACON
(1 IS FINE FOR FEW PEOPLE BUT YOU WILL HAVE LEFTOVER CHESTNUTS, I HAVE MY CHESTNUTS TUCKED IN THE FRIDGE TO BE USED IN RICE TOMORROW)

- 1 CAN OF WATER CHESTNUTS (CHECK YOUR ASIAN FOOD ISLE)

- LIGHT BROWN SUGAR

- TOOTHPICKS


FRY BACON UNTIL JUST SOFT, LEAVE LIMP TO BEND AROUND WATER CHESTNUT.

SET ASIDE TO COOL THEN CUT STRIPS IN HALF.

ONCE MANAGEABLE WRAP HALF PIECE OF BACON AROUND 1 WATER CHESNUT AND SECURE WITH TOOTHPICK. (CONTINUE UNTIL DONE)

PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES, PLACE WRAPPED CHESTNUTS ON PAN.

SPRINKLE WITH LIGHT BROWN SUGAR.

PLACE IN OVEN FOR 5 MINUTES OR UNTIL SUGAR IS LIGHTLY CARMELIZED.



That's it!
A tasty snack board with some sweetness in the bacon, something salty in the meat and some creamy deliciousness in the cheese.
Enjoy!



Post a Comment