SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday 11 April 2018

4 Braids to keep you feeling cool but looking HOT...

How do you like that title?!
I am really working on building my blog confidence and making my titles more eye-catching.
Realistically what are you more likely to click on...

Hey some braids, check them out if you feel like it. No pressure!
OR
HOT, HOT BRAIDED HAIR STYLES TO KEEP YOU STYLIN' & PROFILIN'

Because I have clicked on way too many Buzzfeed articles due to their commanding titles (wayyyy too many! lol).

Braided hair for sun and hot weather, dutch braids, braid updos

I feel like braids are the most under-appreciated and underused of all the hairstyles!

Everyone knows the topknot, ponytails have had their time to shine but when does the braid make a comeback?

It's definitely found its place in the wedding world lately, every updo is braided in some fashion. Fishtail, Dutch, French, upside down, milkmaid, rope braid, halo braid, waterfall braid.

I can do 6/8 of those on myself and 8/8 on other people so they're not that hard to master, they will take practice (probably a lot of practice) but nothing worth doing ever came easy right? (sweat laughing emoji)

I learned to braid a 3 strand braid when I was young, around 5/6 then around 12 years old I learned the french braid. It wasn't until I was in my 20's that I learned the fishtail and dutch way of braiding and once I got it I felt silly for struggling so hard for so long.

The best way to learn is to watch A LOT of youtube videos.
I'm not going to share tutorials done by me in this post, its mainly just to show you the options but if you want to learn the techniques I will include some youtube videos down below!

1. DUTCH BRAID PIGTAILS

Braided hair for sun and hot weather, dutch braids, braid updos

Braided hair for sun and hot weather, dutch braids, braid updos

Dutch braids are my favourite!
Its a french braid turned inside out (easier than it sounds) and it ages your braids in a good way!
I feel like there's a rumour saying french braids are juvenile (which isn't true but whatevs) but Dutch braids look chic, stylish and complicated.

They even make piggy tails work for 30 somethings and beyond!
Sometimes I do a full braid from scalp to tip of the hair and sometimes I braid to my neck and then elastic off and have half dutch braid/half traditional piggy tail.



2. THE MILKMAID BRAID

Braided hair for sun and hot weather, dutch braids, braid updos

This is my most used braid style, it works on the dirtiest of hair and I ALWAYS get compliments when I wear it. Like, always, always, always.

People really like this style but I like it because it showcases a cool pair of earrings perfectly.

There's almost nothing to it either, you braid pigtails and then lift them on top of your head and pin down with bobby pins. Easy Peasy!

Always make sure the end of each piggy tail is tucked under the braid so you don't see any hair elastics and the updo looks polished.

Braided hair for sun and hot weather, dutch braids, braid updos

Braided hair for sun and hot weather, dutch braids, braid updos

Braided hair for sun and hot weather, dutch braids, braid updos



3. THE BRAIDED HIGH PONY

Braided hair for sun and hot weather, dutch braids, braid updos

This one is definitely do-able for all!
Whenever my hair is fuzzy and unmanageable I put it in a high pony (as high as I can go! I feel very 80's typically because I also do this with a side pony) and do a basic 3 strand braid.

Sometimes I will wrap my hair elastics in hair to make it look more polished but mainly I find this helps to keep me cool or used best while swimming, plus later in the night when I take it out I am left with really nice waves.

Braided hair for sun and hot weather, dutch braids, braid updos

A trick I use is to bobby pin the bottom of the braid to my head so it stays in place and doesn't swing around everywhere.

Just under that bottom elastic is a bobby pin holding the braid in place ^



4. THE BRAID BUN

Braided hair for sun and hot weather, dutch braids, braid updos

This is my go to, ride or die, I even did a blog post about this years ago and called it the postpartum hairdo or something.

Read that blog HERE 2014 wow!
Ugh I can't even read it, I never read my own blog, I am super annoying, bless you all for standing by me (lololing)

You do the high braided pony that I did above but then you wrap the braid into a bun and pin in place.
This is so easy but feels like an upgrade from the basic topknot, plus it stays in place all day!

Sometimes with baby fingers around my topknot gets knocked, pulled, stretched, and by the end of the day looks like my baby actually did the bun for me. But the braided bun is much more stable and doesn't fray in the storm that is known as Hurricane Noelle. 





And that's it for now but this post inspired/reminded me of so many hairdos I want to wear.
I think I will start a hashtag for my hair photos, how about #HollyHousewifeHair

Then you guys can search it and I can look at your creations if you use it! 

1 comment :

  1. YES!! Big braid girl here!!
    The more you practice, the better you become at them! It took me weeks of practicing the Fishtale before I was able to master it and now instead of a bun or ponytial, I catch myself twisting my strands into a braid instead.

    ReplyDelete