SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday 20 September 2017

Playroom makeover/under!!

I've been dragging my feet posting this because I have looked EVERYWHERE for my 'before' photos of the playroom.

It's driving me up the wall!
I know I took before photos.. or I really, really thought I did but I've searched every file folder/memory card... and NOTHING.

So sadly, you will have to use your imagination..
I do have this one snap of before that I uploaded to Instagram
 



 
So just picture piles and piles of toys caving into the middle of that room and you'll pretty much be picturing the before photo.

We've lived in this house now for almost two years and we had not properly cleaned that room.. ever.

When we first moved in we painted (it use to be a metal blue, cute but made the room feel small.), I wish I could name the shade of grey for you but it was honestly a quick pick from Kent. I never put much thought into paint, I just choose and hope for the best but that's caused some hits and misses over the years.

Luckily I LOVE this grey, its really fresh and clean.
My advice for choosing a grey is go a shade lighter than you think (unless your looking at the lightest already), you'll probably find the grey dries darker than you think.. so go light!

We also replaced the light fixture.
I truly can't remember what was in there but I'm assuming one of those 'boob' basic builder light fixtures.

The red ball fixture below I picked up at Bouclair for a legitimate, legitimate steal: $19.99

That was quite a while ago when we first moved in so don't run there tomorrow looking to find one but just as a heads up, Bouclair has some amazing deals! Keep them in mind.

I always look in there marked down curtain bin as well! I have gotten so many $1 curtains there, because there's no matching sets they assume the curtains are useless but I turn them sideways and use them as a draped topper OR I loop a knot in the bottom and voila!
Slide the panel to the middle of the rod and the knot weights it, it looks finished with only one panel.
(you will have to view my IG stories to see a visual)
 



I took EVERYTHING out of the room and I swear Nick almost took a heart attack because this project took the better part of the week.
 
A friend gave us that multi coloured bin shelf so that was the starting point that made me want to clean everything.
 
You can grab those shelves off of buy and sells often or find them at Walmart here.
 
I'm sort of flabbergasted, the price range is $79-125, I was thinking they would max out around $80.
no wonder a lady asked if it was for sale during the yard sale I had recently..she saw it in the garage and I had to tell her 'hands off!!' haha.

 
Everyone asks where we got our Captain America shield and I am 100% positive it is from a local comic book store called Cape & Cowl.
 
I've never been in there myself (looking at their website though I really have to go, looks so cool!) but I remember exactly when Nick picked up that shield.
 
We were on the phone chatting and he was in the store with Elliott, he said "I'm really tempted to get this Captain America shield but its $39..."
 
We both remember the convo perfectly and he did get the shield but recently I tagged Cape and Cowl in the photo on Instagram and they said they never carried that shield..... (WRONG. lol)
 
Long story short, I've also sourced it on Amazon for you here but you may want to shop around for a better price.
 
Superhero toys:
Batman (unable to find exact)
Superman (unable to find exact)
Smaller 3 (online and in-store)
 





One of my favorite 'art' pieces in the house is this giant PLAY from Urban Walls.

I had seen Urban Walls featured on Love it or List it Vancouver yearssss ago, anyone remember the episode with the bunny wall decal???

I immediately googled Urban Walls and fell in love with their stuff.
I didn't have a girl at the time (boys can like bunnies too but my boy doesn't, he's made out of mud and boogers I think lol) so I got to looking at what else was available.

And they have expanded SO much since this time, they had about 10 items back then and now you can pretty much find ANY wall decal you can think of.

Elliott has the triangles in his bedroom and I tell you, I am honestly considering different decals for Noelle's room, the laundry and the powder room.. we will see.

A decal that large was surprisingly easy to put up, of course my patience = non existent, so I put it up by myself and there is a little crinkle in the 'A'. You can barely notice it.. I put the lamp there anyway lol



Any baskets that you see are from Winners/Homesense.

That Spider-Man inflatable Elliott got for his birthday, I want to say its from Walmart?
My sister got it so I will ask her and wait.
If she answers expect this to be edited ;)
 


The arrow coat hanger is also from Winners

The Superhero cape collection is from Amazon and I cant say enough how much I (Elliott too!) love those capes.
 


The large wall chalk board is from Winners and I just happened to have it and have no where to put it.. if you watch IG stories you know I have no wall space.
In our last house I had it in the porch and we would leave notes or grocery lists, it was super handy!

If I didn't have the chalk board already on hand I would've liked to paint a wall with chalk paint.
I will find a wall to have chalk board paint on at some point!
 


I wanted to show off Noelle and Elli's wooden toys from The Toy Factory, which I talked about for a second on Instagram.

This cute little toy store in PEI where they make wooden toys right there in the back and you can take a peek and get your name, date written in. Its super cool for the kids so I wanted to display that and have a little craft corner in the playroom with the chalk board and crayons.

The two multi coloured tables in the playroom I had found on a local buy and sell group.
I ran to pick them up because they were 2 for $45 and I thought they were just too adorable to pass up.

I love that the paint is fun but they're so practical with the extra storage space, I have all the art supplies safely tucked into one and Mr. potato head and pieces in the other.
 


One final cool piece is the pillow seen here behind Luna.

At first glance its neat because its Mario world but if you look close its also Halifax!
It has a couple of major points like the Halifax bridges and I just thought that was too cool.

you can find the pillow here.


So that's what the room looks like now, I'm not sure I would call it a makeover as much as a make under... ?!?!

I really just tidied everything up, I took all the building blocks and put them in the basement for now.
As well as any large toys that were very clutter-y but not in daily use.

I think its a safe bet to say Elliott will find them more exciting if he only sees them a few times a year and its really been surprisingly easy to keep the room clean now that I've made a place for everything.

Elliott's getting to the age where he can understand that things have a place and because he's got a tiny bit of my OCD he's been quite good at putting things back because then he can actually find them in the morning.

I've linked as much as possible but let me know if you were wondering where anything else is from! :)

UPDATE: 
I found the befores! Just plopping them here > 







Post a Comment